This bibliography is an attempt to try to group together all the literature on Barotseland and its hinterland. It is very much a work in progress
and is likely to remain so for the foreseeable future. The object is to provide scholars of all disciplines, development practioners and analysts,
policy and decision makers and those just interested in the region and its people with some points of reference. The list will never be
exhaustive and we will be very grateful to receive updates on work we have missed out and new work too. We prefer to list published work although
we will list unpublished theses completed at a recognised academic institution and other pertinent documents that have significance of some kind.
It is hoped in the future to compile an archival list also.
For now the bibliography is divided as follows:
- General - This list comprises assorted works that either focus on or relate in part to the Upper Zambezi Valley
region known as Barotseland; Western Province, Zambia; Caprivi and its peoples. No attempt has been made here to divide into human or physical
aspects or other subject categories. Thus the best use of this list would probably be as an author search.
- By subject:
- Early explorers/adventurers/hunters/missionaries/traders (prior to 1900)
- Language: Silozi, Sikololo, Siluyana lexicography, analysis and discussion
- Missionaries and belief systems/religion generally
- Physical environment
- Silozi: publications and papers in the vernacular
- Unpublished papers and theses